NOLA Schools Unification
What is the Unification of public schools in Orleans Parish?
Over the past decade, significant changes have occurred across the New Orleans public education landscape. Today, a system of diverse and autonomous public schools are rising to the challenge of serving all of New Orleans’ students and families. As a system of schools focused on parental choice and school accountability, we have forged new pathways to ensure equitable enrollment of students, address expulsions and protect student rights, and to provide additional resources and settings to support the individual needs of all students.
On May 10, 2016, the La. Legislature adopted Senate Bill 432, sponsored by Senator Karen Carter Peterson, with co-sponsorship from Representative Walt Leger and most members of the Orleans legislative delegation. On May 12, 2016, Governor John Bel Edwards signed SB 432 into law, which is now Act 91. Act 91 provides for the unification of public schools in Orleans Parish under oversight by the Orleans Parish School Board and its Superintendent, which will occur by July 1st, 2018.
- Review Law
- Review One-Page Summary (Información Básica Sobre La Ley 91) (Thông Tin Cơ Bản Về Đạo Luật 91)
Unification Transition Plan Timeline:
- May 12, 2016: Legislation enacted
- June 1-August 25, 2016: Unification Advisory Committee Meetings (Planning Phase)
- August 30, 2016: OPSB Superintendent presents Unification Transition Plan to OPSB board members for approval
- September 1, 2016-June 30, 2018: Implementation of unification planning phase (including quarterly milestones and Unification Advisory Committee meetings)
- By July 1, 2018: All schools under the Recover School District under the oversight of the Orleans Parish School Board
Planning for Unification:
As required in Act 91, Dr. Henderson Lewis Jr., the local Superintendent, developed a plan to effect the return of schools from the Recovery School District to the local school board for approval. The Orleans Parish School Board approved this plan at its Board Business meeting on August 30, 2016. That presentation and unification plan are below:
Unification Advisory Committee
Act 91 also calls for the development of a Unification Advisory Committee to assist in the transition plan development process. The Unification Advisory Committee is comprised of representatives of charter operators and key education advocacy organizations. Those members are:
- Dr. Henderson Lewis Jr., OPSB Superintendent
- Patrick Dobard, RSD Superintendent
- Sharon Clark, Charter Director for Sophie B. Wright Charter School
- Jay Altman, CEO of FirstLine Schools
- Kelly Batiste, CEO/Principal of Fannie C. Williams Charter School
- Rene Lewis-Carter, CEO of Algiers Charter School Association
- Jamar McKneely, CEO of InspireNOLA Charter Schools
- Alexina Medley, Principal of Warren Easton Charter High School
- Nicolette London, Orleans Parish School Board
- Erika McConduit, President/CEO of Urban League of Greater New Orleans
- Deidre Johnson Burel, former Executive Director of Orleans Parish Education Network
- Rhonda Kalifey-Aluise, CEO of KIPP New Orleans Schools
- Dr. Doris Roche-Hicks, CEO/Principal of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School
The transition plan for unifying public schools in Orleans Parish was initiated with four (4) Unification Advisory Committee meetings between June 1- August 25, 2016. Upcoming UAC meetings to present the milestones outlined in the unification plan are scheduled below. All meetings are open to the public.
Unification Advisory Committee Meetings (Planning Phase):
- Wednesday, June 1 (Agenda) (UAC Presentation #1)
- Thursday, July 14 (Agenda) (Power Point) (First Working Draft of Plan)
- Thursday, August 11 (Agenda) (Community Feedback Presentation)
- Thursday, August 25 (Agenda) (DRAFT Unification Presentation) (DRAFT Unification Plan)
Unification Advisory Committee Meetings (Implementation Phase):
- November 28, 2016, 5pm at OPSB’s 1st Floor Conference Room (Agenda) (Unification Milestone Report)
- February 21, 2017, 5pm at OPSB’s 1st Floor Conference Room (Agenda) (Power Point) (Unification Milestone Report)
- May 25, 2017, 5pm at OPSB’s 1st Floor Conference Room
Unification Task Force Members:
To assist in the work required as part of unifying the public schools in New Orleans, Dr. Henderson Lewis Jr., Superintendent, has organized over 100 citywide education stakeholders to provide input and develop strategies for the successful unification effort. The Task Forces are
- Citywide Vision and Strategic Goals
- Students interested in applying for the Citywide Vision and Strategic Goals Task Force should complete the form here by 4:00 p.m. CT, Friday, December 2.
- Authorization, Accountability & Planning
- Systemwide Services & Resources
- Transparency & Community Responsiveness
The list of those members on the various Task Forces are:
Reports from Task Force Meeting #1:
- Authorization, Accountability, & Planning
- System-wide Services & Resources
- Transparency & Community Responsiveness
Schools Unification Community Meetings
Unification Office Hours: Orleans Parish School Board, 3520 General DeGaulle Dr., New Orleans, LA 70114
- August 1 (Monday) from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- August 9 (Tuesday) from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- August 19 (Friday) from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.
If you have additional comments or suggestions related to the unification of public schools in New Orleans, we encourage you to provide input below.
- o: 504-359-8167 f: 504-379-8167 c: 504-214-6876
- Anh Vietquynh Pham
- o: 504-304-3559 c: 504-256-2774 f: 504-379-3559
- [email protected]