Charter School Applications
The deadline for the 2017 Charter Application Process has passed, no new applications will be accepted at this time. Please watch this website for information on the 2018-19 application information.
2017 OPSB Charter School Request For Applications (RFA) Process
Materials for Prospective Applicants
1) Receive Information for Prospective Applicants
- Sign-up to receive Newsletters for Prospective Applicants
- November 16th Webinar: Charter Application Part 1
- Webinar: Charter Application Part 2: TBD
2) Download the 2017 Charter RFA Guidance and Materials here:
- 2017 Charter Application – Part 1 Guidance and Materials (Materials updated 1/25)
- 2017 Charter Application – Part 2: Guidance and Materials (Materials updated 12/19)
Timeline for 2017 Charter Application Process
Note: Orleans Parish School Board follows the timeline for charter applications approved by the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Timeline: Type 1 & Type 3 Charters
Charter RFA Release Part 1: November 15, 2016
Part 2: December 15, 2016
Part 1: Eligibility Review Deadline Noon, January 20, 2017
Part 2: Notice of Intent & Eligibility Documentation Deadline Noon, January 27, 2017
Final Eligibility Determinations February 3, 2017
Part 2: Complete Applications Due Noon, March 6, 2017
Type 3 Charter School - Conversion
Requests for Clarification Presented to Applicants Rolling deadline
Deadline for Applicant Responses to Requests for Clarification Rolling deadline
School Community Meet & Greets March 7 - March 9
Capacity Interviews March 21, 2017
Independent Evaluator Recommendations Presented to Applicants and Staff March 29, 2017
Deadline for Applicant Responses April 5, 2017
Public Hearing April 11 @ 6pm @ McDonogh #35
OPSB Accountability Committee Meeting - Presentation of Recommendations April 18, 2017
Final Charter Decisions (OPSB Board Business Meeting) April 20, 2017
Type 1 Charter School - New Start
Requests for Clarification Presented to Applicants April 3, 2017
Deadline for Applicant Responses to Requests for Clarification April 12, 2017
Capacity Interviews April 20 - April 22
Independent Evaluator Recommendations Presented to Applicants and Staff April 30, 2017
Deadline for Applicant Responses May 5, 2017
Public Hearing (OPSB Accountability Committee) May 16, 2017
Final Charter Decisions (OPSB Board Business Meeting) May 18, 2017
Per LA statute, OPSB waives the full application for charter operators eligible for Automatic Replication of existing schools. OPSB will still receive and evaluate proposals from these operators specifically as they relate to conversion of existing schools into Type 3 charters.
La statute RS 17:3973 stipulates that charter schools authorized by the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education directly must be approved by the faculty/staff and parents of the school’s existing student body through a vote. The same statute provides that local school districts, like Orleans Parish School Board, have no such requirement. In evaluating proposals for both new and existing charter schools, OPSB requests that applicants include in their proposal evidence of parent and community support. In the past, this has taken the form of votes, letters of support, petitions, and other evidence. No one format is required.
In past years Orleans Parish School Board’s charter application has required Demonstrated Support Procedures for Type 3 charter applicants. No such requirements will be applied for the 2017 Charter RFA process.
Important Eligibility Information
Louisiana law sets out specific requirements for all groups submitting charter applications:
- Only nonprofit organizations may hold charters in Louisiana.
- Application teams must include three Louisiana teachers certified by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
All applicants must meet these eligibility requirements in order to submit a full application.
In this Request for Applications, applicants will be considered in two groups, each of which has specific requirements.
New Operators are nonprofit organizations which:
- has never operated a chater school and/or
- does not intend to employ an education service provider or intends to employ an educational service provider that has never operated a school
Existing Operators are nonprofit organizations which:
- Have one or more schools (currently or previously) in operation
- Intend to employ an educational service provider with one or more schools in operation
All charter school application materials submitted to OPSB become public records, pursuant to the Louisiana Public Records Law, LSA-R.S. 44:1 et seq.
For any questions or concerns regarding the 2017OPSB Charter School RFA, please contact Forrest Collins, Assistant Director of Strategy by email: [email protected].
Prospective applicants may also wish to review:
· The Louisiana Common Charter Application, which is available on the Louisiana Department of Education’s website, link here
· The additional resources page of this website, which provides links to outside resources that may assist in preparing your application, link here
· For information on OPSB’s 2016 Charter School RFA process, click here.