Charter School Applications
2017 OPSB Charter School Request For Applications (RFA) Process
Orleans Parish School Board is now accepting applications for Part 1 of the 2017 charter application process.
Materials for Prospective Applicants
1) Receive Information for Prospective Applicants
- Sign-up to receive Newsletters for Prospective Applicants
- November 16th Webinar: Charter Application Part 1
- Webinar: Charter Application Part 2: TBD
2) Download the 2017 Charter RFA Guidance and Materials here:
Citywide Authorizer Priorities
OPSB has adopted strategic priorities to guide its charter authorization efforts, based on an assessment of the district’s needs and future goals. These strategic priorities have been adopted by the Board and released to the public prior to the close of the application period. Alignment with the district’s strategic priorities will be considered as a primary factor for all applicants in the proposal evaluation process.
OPSB’s 2017 Charter School Authorizer & Portfolio Strategic Priorities will be released in December 2016.
Timeline for 2017 Charter Application Process
Note: Orleans Parish School Board follows the timeline for charter applications approved by the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
OPSB will review proposals, on a rolling basis through the end of the charter school application deadline: February 24, 2017 and may therefore present final recommendations in advance of May 16th.
Per LA statute, OPSB waives the full application for charter operators eligible for Automatic Replication of existing schools. OPSB will still receive and evaluate proposals from these operators specifically as they relate to conversion of existing schools into Type 3 charters.
Important Eligibility Information
Louisiana law sets out specific requirements for all groups submitting charter applications:
- Only nonprofit organizations may hold charters in Louisiana.
- Application teams must include three Louisiana teachers certified by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
All applicants must meet these eligibility requirements in order to submit a full application.
In this Request for Applications, applicants will be considered in two groups, each of which has specific requirements.
New Operators are nonprofit organizations which:
- has never operated a chater school and/or
- does not intend to employ an education service provider or intends to employ an educational service provider that has never operated a school
Existing Operators are nonprofit organizations which:
- Have one or more schools (currently or previously) in operation
- Intend to employ an educational service provider with one or more schools in operation
All charter school application materials submitted to OPSB become public records, pursuant to the Louisiana Public Records Law, LSA-R.S. 44:1 et seq.
For any questions or concerns regarding the 2017OPSB Charter School RFA, please contact Taina Knox, Director of New Schools and Programs by email: [email protected].
Prospective applicants may also wish to review:
· The Louisiana Common Charter Application, which is available on the Louisiana Department of Education’s website, link here
· The additional resources page of this website, which provides links to outside resources that may assist in preparing your application, link here
· For information on OPSB’s 2016 Charter School RFA process, click here.