Orleans Parish School Board Releases Spring Request for Charter Applications
January 12, 2018
New Application Process Allows Applicants Formative Feedback Prior To Final Submissions
NEW ORLEANS – (Jan. 16, 2018) – The Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) has announced a new round of charter applications along with opportunities for prospective operators to learn more about the process. The improvements are designed to help those who may be generally interested in applying for a charter as well as those who are further along in the process and ready for a professional review prior to final submissions.
Prospective applicants can receive formative feedback from experts about their idea and plan. This prospectus process was introduced last year and deemed a success based on responses from applicants and staff. Individuals who believe they are ready to formally apply can have their plans reviewed during the submittal process by the OPSB and independent evaluators. Following the professional comments, the applicants can move forward with the full application within the application period.
“These improvements are designed to make the process more accessible to local applicants from non-traditional backgrounds,” said OPSB Superintendent Dr. Henderson Lewis, Jr. “We are seeking the best applicants with innovative ideas and workable plans from a broader spectrum of our community. If we can provide valuable assistance on the front end, then everyone wins.”
Applications will be received through March 2, 2018, with final recommendations to be presented to the OPSB during its June Board Business Meeting.
The OPSB is excited to receive applications for schools that will continue to further the school board’s vision and long-term goals for the future, where every student in New Orleans receives a high-quality education that fosters his or her individual capabilities, while ensuring that they thrive and are prepared for civic, social and economic success.
“In order to meet the needs of all our students, we need the best and the brightest that New Orleans has to offer,” said OPSB President John A. Brown, Sr. “I want to thank the Superintendent for this new, more accessible process and for his responsiveness and leadership on this issue.”
OPSB Vice-President Leslie Ellison also championed the new process for charter applications.
“I really appreciate the time that the Superintendent and our team has taken to listen to our students, our parents and others to make sure we are meeting everyone’s needs,” said Ellison. “This is a big step in the right direction.”
For more information regarding the OPSB’s charter application process, please visit: https://opsb.us/schools/open-a-school/spring-2018-opsb-charter-application-cycle/.
The OPSB currently oversees 41 schools, including 37 charter schools, and one educational program for students in secure care facilities. In July 2018 all public schools in New Orleans will again be under the jurisdiction of the OPSB.